Master Program in Opera Performance
Degree: Official Master's Degree (acreditation in Boletín Oficial del Estado) //
Calendar: January- April 2018
Language: English / Spanish / Catalan // Venue: Liceu Conservatory in Barcelona
Pre-registration: JULY - NOVEMBER 2017 // Candidate selection: DECEMBER 2017
Enrollment and payment of the total fee: DECEMBER 2017
This project provides young singers with the opportunity to grow up and progress as performers in an environment of artistic excellence and very high musical competence, thanks to the combination of the resources and the experience of the institution.
The aim of the Master Program is the technical, vocal and stylistic work on Gioachino Rossini’s La Cenerentola, with a cast made up of Master students accompanied by the Liceu Conservatory Orchestra. The performance by the Master students will be part of the Liceu Conservatory Concert Hall season program.
In the 2018 edition of the Master, chosen students will have the opportunity to work with the acclaimed opera singer Teresa Berganza, one of the most renowned performers of the La Cenerentola’s main role. The academic program will count on the participation of other singers and experts in the Rossinian repertoire, such as Eduard Giménez or Joan Martín-Royo, along with professional managers and artistic directors from theatres and opera festivals of our country.
Classes and rehearsals will be carried out under the expert advice of some of the best current specialists in singing and the lyrical scene. Moreover, several world-class figures in the operatic field will give courses and masterclasses to the Master Program Students.
Who is this Master intended for?
The Master in Opera Performance addresses both graduate students with a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree from an institution of higher education and young professionals with a high vocal and performance level who are already starting a professional career and that want to deepen and improve their skills in an environment of excellence.
Students who already hold a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree will obtain the Official Master’s Degree Diploma at the end of the academic program.
Students who don’t hold a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree will obtain a Diploma in Opera Performance.
What does this Master offer?
The training program consists of:
- Individual technique lessons and collective stage lessons.
- Individual training with expert accompanists and preparation of the work.
- Masterclasses given by internationally renowned musicians with a wide musical and stage experience.
- Rehearsals and performance of La Cenerentola with orchestra accompaniment.
- Music business lectures guided to a global cultural market.
- Acquaintance with the stage new trends leaded by the most important European Opera Theatres.
Thus, the Master program will faithfully reflect the reality of a profession in which the artistic evolution and the progressive globalization demand the ability for change and continuous adaptation.
The specific objectives of the Master are:
- To contribute to discover talents and build careers in the operatic world.
- To educate students in the field of opera repertoire and performance, including vocal, stylistic, stage, and theatrical training. Moreover, to help them to achieve a professional experience in opera productions.
- Provide students with the knowledge and abilities of a high-level performer with a defined artistic personality.
- To offer to classical singers the opportunity of training in the context of a professional opera production, with the goal of the individual and collective progress, from the first rehearsal to the final performance of the chosen work.
Vocal technique and repertoire: voice practical individual lessons, vocal technique and performance lessons. Masterclasses.
Musical dramaturgy analysis: formal and stylistic analysis of the opera La Cenerentola, and its structure and musical dramaturgy.
Music Business: knowledge of our surrounding cultural reality, through some of its main cultural managers, with particular emphasis on the operatic activity.
Final Essay and Research Methods: written report about the different musical and stage aspects of the role played by each student.
Opera Production: students will participate as singers in the preparation and performance of scenes of the opera La Cenerentola, with the Liceu Conservatory Orchestra, organized through the following subjects:
- Musical preparation of the role: individual lessons for the musical preparation of the role. Working with accompanists, resident professors and invited professors, who will provide the students with a better knowledge and a fuller musical and dramatic understanding of with the character they play.
- Stage preparation of the role: individual and collective theatrical technique and stage work basis lessons. Firsts collective rehearsals. Staging of some specific scenes.
- Staging at the Liceu Conservatory Concert Hall: stage rehearsals with the stage director and rehearsals with the musical conductor. Performance at the Conservatory Concert Hall before a live audience.
|Musical dramaturgy analysis||3|
|Musical preparation of the role||7|
|Stage preparation for the role||7|
|Course start||January 9th 2018|
|Analysis /Music Business / Vocal Technique and repertoire/ Musical preparation of the role /|
|From January 9th to March 12th 2018|
|Artistic Guidance||From March 5th to 12th 2018|
|Stage preparation of the role / Staging||From March 19th to April 6th 2018|
|Opera production||March-April 2018|
|Performance at the Conservatory Concert Hall||April 12th and 13th 2018|
Master Academic Director
Vocal technique and performance
This subject brings together professionals of the most representatives sectors of the music business in the field of opera, as managers, concert promoters, marketing experts, festival directors etc. in order to give a global view of the world of professional singing and the operatic world.
Cristina Scheppelmann, Gran Teatre del Liceu Artistic Director
Fernando Sanz, Opera Actual Director
Joan Matabosch, Teatro Real de Madrid Artistic Director
Miguel Lerín, Artistic Manager
Oriol Aguilar, Castell Peralada Festival Director
Analysis and Final Essay
Registration must be made filling the application form before September 30th 2017 at the following link in the Conservatory’s website.
DOCUMENTATION AND VIDEO RECORDING
At the application form, candidates must upload the following documentation:
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter
- DNI Copy (Passport for non-Spanish citizens)
- Copy of the Bachelor’s Degree in Music Diploma o equivalent (if you have it).
It is possible to include a video recording in which the applicant performs two arias, appropriate to his kind of voice, from La Cenerentola or other Rossini’s operas. The recording must be sent through a link to Youtube, Vimeo or other similar video services. Avoid downloading file services and temporary links.