Master Program in Opera Performance
Degree: Official Master's Degree (acreditation in Boletín Oficial del Estado) //
Calendar: March - June 2017
Language: English / Spanish / Catalan // Venue: Liceu Conservatory in Barcelona
Pre-registration: OCTOBER - JANUARY 2016 // Candidate selection: FEBRAURY 2017
Enrollment and payment of the total fee: FEBRUARY 2017
The Liceu Conservatory in Barcelona presents this project that provides young singers with the opportunity to grow up and progress as performers in an environment of artistic excellence and very high musical competence, thanks to the combination of the resources and the experience of the institution.
The aim of the Master Program is the technical, vocal and stylistic work on W. A. Mozart’s opera, or singspiel, The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflöte) with a cast made up of Master students accompanied by the Liceu Conservatory Orchestra. The performance by the Master students will be part of the Liceu Conservatory Auditorium season program.
Classes and rehearsals will be carried out under the expertise of some of the best current specialists in singing and the lyrical scene. Moreover, several world-class figures in the operatic field will teach courses and masterclasses to the Master Program students.
Who is this Master intended for?
The Master in Opera Performance addresses both graduate students with a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree from an institution of higher musical education and young professionals with a high vocal and performance level who are already starting a professional career and that want to deepen and improve their skills in an environment of excellence.
Students who hold already a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree will obtain the Official Master’s Degree Diploma at the end of the academic program.
Students who don’t hold a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree will obtain a Diploma in Opera Performance.
What does this Master offer?
The training program consists of:
- Individual technique lessons and collective stage lessons.
- Individual training with expert coaching and preparation of the work.
- Masterclasses given by internationally renowned musicians with a wide musical and stage experience.
- Rehearsals and performance of The Magic Flute with orchestra accompaniment.
- Music business lectures guided to a global cultural market.
- Acquaintance with the stage new trends leaded by the most important European Opera Theatres.
In the 2017 edition of the Master, the chosen students will have de opportunity to work side-by-side with the internationally renowned performer Francisco Araiza. They will have other singers as professors, such as Joan Martín-Royo, Elena Copons and Roger Padullés, all of them experts in Mozart’s repertoire; and also management professionals such as Miguel Lerín and Oriol Aguilà.
Thus, the Master program will faithfully reflect the reality of a profession in which the artistic evolution and the progressive globalization demand the capacity for change and constant adaptation.
The Castell de Peralada Festival, collaborator of the Master, may invite outstanding Master students to be part of the cast and to perform some soloist roles in the Festival’s production of The Magic Flute, scheduled in the 2017-2018 season, as well as other Peralada’s lyrical projects (according to the decision of the Festival’s Artistic Direction, set in an audition which with this purpose).
The specific objectives of the Master are:
- To contribute to discover, train and build careers in the operatic world.
- To educate students in the field of opera repertoire and performance, including vocal, stylistic, stage, and theatrical training. Moreover, to help them to achieve a professional experience in opera productions.
- Provide students with the inherent knowledge and abilities of a high level performer with a defined artistic personality.
- To offer to classical singers the opportunity of training in the context of a professional opera production, with the goal of the individual and collective progress, from the first rehearsal to the final performance of the chosen work.
Vocal technique and repertoire: voice practical individual lessons, vocal technique and performance. Masterclasses.
Dramaturgy analysis and study: formal and stylistic analysis of the opera The Magic Flute, and its structure and musical dramaturgy.
Music Business: knowledge of our surrounding cultural reality, through some of its main cultural managers, with particular emphasis on the operatic activity.
Final Essay and Research Methods: written report about the different musical and stage aspects of the role played by each student.
Opera Production: students will participate as singers in the preparation and performance of scenes of the opera The Magic Flute, with the Liceu Conservatory Orchestra, organized in the following subjects:
- Musical preparation of the role: individual lessons for the musical preparation of the role. Working with accompanists, resident professors and invited professors, who will provide the students with a better knowledge and a fuller musical and dramatic understanding of with the character they play.
- Stage preparation of the role: individual and collective lessons. Collective rehearsals. Staging of some specific scenes.
- Staging at the Liceu Conservatory Auditorium: stage rehearsals with the stage director and rehearsals with the musical conductor. Performance in from of a live audience.
The faculty of the Master, according to the students’ performance at the Vocal Technique and Stage and Musical Preparation of the Role subjects, will decide the most appropriate cast
Course start: March 2017
Analysis / Music Business / Vocal Technique and repertoire: March- April
Castell de Peralada Festival audition: April 2017
Opera Production: May – June
Performance at the Liceu Conservatory Auditorium: 21/22 June 2017
|Musical dramaturgy anaysis||3|
|Musical preparation of the role||7|
|Stage preparation for the role||7|
Master Academic Director
Vocal technique and performance
This subject brings together professionals of the most representatives sectors of the music business in the field of opera, as managers, concert promoters, marketing experts, festival directors etc. in order to give a global view of the world of professional singing and the operatic world.
Analysis and Final Essay
Víctor Estapé, musicologist and composer